Skip to main content
Family Court of Western Australia
Print page
  • Small Text
  • Medium Text
  • Large Text

Resolving Your Dispute

There are many ways to resolve your dispute. It's usually better to sort out problems away from the court. Here are some other options to consider.


  • Use a Family Dispute Resolution practitioner.
    (Click here for more information )
  • Write a letter to the other party, making suggestions about sorting out the problem. A Community Legal Centre or Legal Aid WA may help you write the letter.
  • Contact Legal Aid WA about their alternative dispute resolution program (ADR).
  • For financial/property issues, use an Arbitrator.
    Click here to find an Arbitrator
    (see brochure in download panel on right)

When you reach agreement, you may file an Application for Consent Orders (Form 11) asking the Family Court to make orders in terms of your agreement.

Download Consent Orders Kit - (information only, you will also need to download the Form 11 Application for Consent Orders)

If you are involved in litigation in the Family Court, if agreement is reached at any time during the proceedings, it is possible to ask the court to make consent orders by filing a Minute of Consent Orders. A registrar will deal with your request in chambers and consider your orders.

95% of people who commence proceedings in the Family Court reach agreement without the need for a trial.

Last updated: 5-Apr-2016

[ back to top ]

Home |  Privacy |  Copyright & Disclaimer
All contents copyright Government of Western Australia. All rights reserved.