Skip to main content
Family Court of Western Australia
Print page
  • Small Text
  • Medium Text
  • Large Text

Legal Advice

Obtaining legal advice

Family Court staff cannot provide legal advice, although they can help with questions about procedure and the court process.

It is important that you understand the effect of any orders sought by you or against you.

Even if you have decided to make, or defend, an application without the help of a lawyer, you should obtain independent legal advice about the effect and consequences of the orders you propose and the rules of evidence that may apply to your affidavit.

If you are unsure of how to seek legal advice or how to chose a lawyer, the Law Society of Western Australia (08 9322 7877 or ) can recommend one to you.

If you cannot afford to pay a lawyer, you may be able to get legal advice from Legal Aid WA (Information Line - 1300 650 579 or ) or your nearest Community Legal Centre ( ). They have lawyers who can give low cost or free legal advice.

If you are Aboriginal or a Torres Strait Islander you may also be able to get legal advice from your local Aboriginal Legal Service office. (Perth 08 9265 6666 or )

There are many organisations and agencies throughout the State that provide free or low-cost advice and information to assist you in family matters.

Assistance may be obtained from a range of offices such as:

  • Legal Aid WA
  • Community Legal Centres
  • Citizens Advice Bureaux
  • Counselling services, and
  • Mediation services.

Many of these services have offices in country centres as well as in the metropolitan area.

Last updated: 9-Feb-2016

[ back to top ]

Home |  Privacy |  Copyright & Disclaimer
All contents copyright Government of Western Australia. All rights reserved.