De facto relationship information

If you are applying for property or maintenance orders after the breakdown of a de facto relationship, you must provide evidence of the relationship. The Court can only make orders if the relationship meets certain requirements.

To prove the de facto relationship meets the legislative requirements, you need to file an affidavit dealing with the following matters when you make your application:


The affidavit must establish that at least one of the parties is residing in Western Australia on the day the application is made.

Length of relationship

You need to establish one of these three situations:

Connection to Western Australia

The affidavit must also establish at least one of the following 2 things:

If either party has a spouse

The affidavit must also advise whether you or the other party has a spouse. If either party has a spouse the affidavit should indicate that a copy of your application will be served on that spouse.

Last updated: 16-Apr-2018

[ back to top ]