Feedback and Complaints

The Family Court of Western Australia has a commitment to providing a prompt, courteous and efficient service to the Western Australian community. The Court recognises that court users and the community can provide valuable information and feedback to help maintain our current high standards.

The following information is intended to assist those who would like to provide feedback on, make a complaint, or provide a suggestion for the Family Court of Western Australia.

Who can use this service?

Feedback and complaints can be made by any person whether or not they are litigants in the Court.

When dealing with any matter lodged through this service the Court will, so far as possible, respect and take into account the needs of clients, including people with language and cultural barriers and those with low literacy skills or disabilities.

Contact can be made on behalf of a person providing feedback or making a complaint if he or she would experience difficulties doing so.

What type of complaints can be made?

Anyone has the right to complain about any aspect of the Court's registry services and all complaints will be investigated and responded to appropriately.

You cannot, however, use these procedures if you want to complain because you think:

If you do not agree with a decision made by the judicial officer in your case, you may seek to appeal against that decision to a higher court. In some cases, an application for leave to appeal may first need to be made.

Court staff can give you some information about the procedure for lodging an appeal. However, they cannot advise you on whether you should appeal. You may need legal advice to make this decision.

If you wish to make a complaint about a member of the judiciary, it should be made in writing to the Complaints Officer, and it will be referred to the Chief Judge, or Principal Registrar, as appropriate.

Complaints about a member of the judiciary will be dealt with in accordance with the Protocol for Complaints against Judicial Officers in Western Australia.

If the complaint relates to a member of the judicial support staff, it should be made in writing to the Complaints Officer who will refer it to the appropriate person.

How to provide feedback or make a complaint

You can do this either:

Your feedback or complaint will be referred to the Complaints Officer. The Court may also request additional information to assist in the resolution of your complaint or to identify the correct area for the suggestion to be forwarded to.

Written feedback and complaints

Feedback and complaints can be submitted by post or email, and should be addressed to the Complaints Officer.

You will need to include:

The Court does not accept or deal with anonymous complaints.

Electronic feedback and complaints

You can lodge a complaint or provide feedback through our online customer feedback system.

Feedback and complaints should not be filed, lodged or uploaded onto a Family Court file through the eCourts Portal of WA. It will not be responded to, and will be removed from the file.

If you are unable to make a complaint electronically please call (08) 9224 8222.

Responding to complaints

Generally, we will respond within 10 working days to advise you of the outcome or the progress of your complaint.

Can a complaint be withdrawn?

A complaint can be withdrawn at any time. Notice to withdraw the complaint should be given to the Complaints Officer in writing.


Last updated: 2-Aug-2023

[ back to top ]